Defence School Mentor Program
What is the DSM Program?
This government funded program aims to assist Defence students and their families in four key areas throughout the student's education and as they move from one school to another.
Welcoming: Working with students and their families as they transition into our school.
Integration: Assisting students in building positive relationships with their peers and feeling comfortable in their new environment.
Absence: Supporting students during periods of parental absence due to the operational needs of the Australian Defence Force – promotional courses, field exercises, deployments.
Farewelling: Preparing students to transition from our school due to posting.
What this might look like:
- Helping to familiarise students and their families with the school and its facilities
- Coordinating welcome, farewelling and end of year events for students
- Monitoring social and emotional wellbeing of students and referring where necessary
- Supporting students to develop self-confidence and resilience
- Providing a space for students to build friendships with peers and interact with other Defence students
- Assisting with information surrounding additional services available to Defence personnel, their families, and veterans.
- Raising awareness of Defence related issues facing students within our school
Who is the DSM?
The Defence School Mentor is Amy Northcott at Strathpine West State School.
Miss Amy is familiar with a defence lifestyle. Her husband is currently serving, having enlisted in 2018 and they have lived in two posting locations. They have three children who attend local schools and daycare, and they have accessed the varied resources provided by the ADF to support their children during transitions, absences and farewells.
Professionally, Miss Amy is studying a Masters in Education (Early Childhood) and works in a kindergarten setting in inclusive education and support.
Contacting the DSM:
You can get in contact with our DSM by calling administration on 3480 6111.
The DSM is on site from 9:00am to 2:30pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.