Defence School Mentor Program
What is the DSM Program?
This government funded program aims to assist Defence students and their families in four key areas throughout the student's education and as they move from one school to another.
Welcoming: Working with students and their families as they transition into our school.
Integration: Assisting students in building positive relationships with their peers and feeling comfortable in their new environment.
Absence: Supporting students during periods of parental absence due to the operational needs of the Australian Defence Force – promotional courses, field exercises, deployments.
Farewelling: Preparing students to transition from our school due to posting.
What this might look like:
- Helping to familiarise students and their families with the school and its facilities
- Coordinating welcome, farewelling and end of year events for students
- Monitoring social and emotional wellbeing of students and referring where necessary
- Supporting students to develop self-confidence and resilience
- Providing a space for students to build friendships with peers and interact with other Defence students
- Assisting with information surrounding additional services available to Defence personnel, their families, and veterans.
- Raising awareness of Defence related issues facing students within our school
Who is the DSM?
The Defence School Mentor is Shannon Howieson at Strathpine West State School.
To give you an idea of her background, Ms Howieson's father has recently retired from active duty at the end of last year after serving 42 years in the Army. Her husband enlisted in 2016 and together they are raising their children who both attend a local kindy.
Ms Howieson has a degree in Primary Education and has over 8 years of experience working in a school environment in different capacities.
Contacting the DSM:
You can get in contact with our DSM by calling administration on 3480 6111 or by emailing Ms Howieson directly on email@example.com
The DSM is on site from 9:00am to 2:30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays.